Interesting links and notes on updates to my main website.
[to search, use Blogger search in top bar]
Sunday, November 08, 2009
Star Blazers and Battlestar Galactica
some weird table bug makes the table appear with a ton of blank space in front of it
what's with the Gamilons being human-appearing and fat in the first few episodes, and then becoming blue and skinny?
In case you don't want to scroll down, these are the uncanny similarities between Star Blazers ("Space Battleship Yamato") and Battlestar Galactica (both versions, for the most part, but particularly the reimagining). Both SB and the original BSG were from 1978.
* home planet attacked with radiation bombs
* last remaining battleship seeking a distant planet
* last remaining battleship is only hope for humanity
* captain of the ship has lost a son who was also in the military
* main male fighter pilot lost a brother who was also a pilot in the fleet
* leader is dying and may not make it all the way
* enemies have oddly organic shaped ships and technology
* enemy carrier ship has multiple arms out of which attack fighters emerge in waves
* battleship uses a "wall" of nearby explosions to stop incoming missiles
* enemy leader insufferably smug, cruel and likes the ladies
Also (ROT13 spoilers)
Star Blazers: Qrerx Jvyqfgne'f oebgure Nyrk vf gubhtug gb unir qvrq va gur penfu bs uvf fuvc, ohg ur gheaf bhg gb or nyvir
Battlestar Galactica: Mnx Nqnzn vf n Plyba naq vf erfheerpgrq (va zl nygreangr havirefr)