Manifesto Multilinko
Interesting links and notes on updates to my main website.

[add RSS feed][add RSS feed]

[to search, use Blogger search in top bar]

Monday, December 18, 2006
over that bridge

So because my PowerBook G4 built-in wireless SUCKS, I got a Linksys WET54GS5 bridge.
Although the net reported some issues (mostly with WPA, which I don't use), there were also very positive words for its powerful reception capabilities.

It appears to be working well.

It is reporting Link Quality 100% which I guess is a signal strength measure.

I'm getting great speeds, near my theoretical max of 6000/800



That being said, I was going mad for quite a while, as the Mac wasn't getting any DHCP through the WET. I don't know whether it was me plugging and unplugging, or me briefly hitting reset on the WET, but it appears to be working fine now.

I'm running the latest firmware, v.4.92, September 22, 2005.

I will add the PC now and see how things go (the desire to provide 802.11g to both my PC and my Mac was one reason I got the S5, since it has a 5-port switch). Also, if you're wondering why I didn't just get USB-Wireless keys, 1. I think that's hokey, 2. My PC doesn't have USB 2.0 (yet), 3. The Mac doesn't support USB-Wireless adapters

(As a final note, the "bridge" part simply means it bridges from wired Ethernet in my Mac and PC, to wireless 802.11g)

UPDATE: The PC is now added behind the bridge, and it does even better than the Mac, with 5899/790

Labels: