Manifesto Multilinko
Interesting links and notes on updates to my main website.

[add RSS feed][add RSS feed]

[to search, use Blogger search in top bar]

Friday, September 08, 2006
Manifesto in Exile

UPDATE: Ok, blog.akerman.ca and the FeedBurner feed should work. There are probably still assorted bits and pieces still broken, like the archives and some images.

ENDUPDATE

In September 1998, I started doing a Masters in CS part-time at Dal/TUNS (post-merger).

I have the vaguest recollections of dates, which is why I rely on extensive computer backups.

Here is one of my first emails on my Dal account.
I had lost my wallet, it dropped out of my pocket when I stepped out of the cab across the street from my apartment, if I recall correctly, after a big trip. Travel all over the place - wallet fine. Step out of cab in Halifax - wallet on ground.

It made it to the TUNS campus, which was nearby.
I didn't know I had an email account, so the thoughtful emails people sent me about getting my wallet went undiscovered for like a month.

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:49:20 -0400
From: Ursula Steyer
To: RICHARD AKERMAN
Subject: YOUR ID Card

Hi Richard,

Your ID Card has been turned in to ...
Civil Engineering
... you may pick it up there.

Anyhoo, three years later (May 2001), my account seemed like a useful place to store my blog. But I made sure to create a floating permanent URL: blog.akerman.ca

So, in September 2006, I find that in order to access my flame account, I need to set up a new global password using my torch account. Problem. I don't know if I even have a torch account. If I do, I have no idea what the password is. I'm told "it's the same password you use to download your email", but I don't download my email, it all sits in pine on flame.

(If anyone at Dal wants to help me reset my torch password, that would be most useful.)

So for now, and possibly indefinitely, I can no longer access flame, which means I can no longer upload new blog postings. This is not a big deal, since my content all lives inside of Blogger, hence the instant migration to Blogspot.

What this means for you:
- always use blog.akerman.ca to access my blog, it will always point to the right location... err, ok it will as soon as I update the DNS
- use the FeedBurner feed, it also will point to the right location, err... also as soon as I update it

I was hoping to at least update to Blogger Beta as part of the move, but I am forbidden, either because I haven't been invited, or because Manifesto used to be a Plus blog, ages ago, or for some unknown reason.